Bondathon: You Only Live Twice


I like Japan. I like Japan, a lot.

Japan has always interested me with its many different cultures and the way they do things. So, naturally, when the west's biggest movie series would give a shot at taking place in Japan and opening up a larger world to the series, it should work, right?

Uh...Right.

So, You Only Live Twice. The fifth Bond film in the official EON series, and the fifth to star Sean Connery (and he wanted it to be his last, more on that later). Basically, Bond is back at it, as a scare in space results in the disappearance of an American space capsule and the death of one astronaut. Naturally, America is furious, and they're ready to blame the Russians, but the British swear that they have a lead that the rocket that intercepted the capsule came from Japan. So, Bond goes to Japan, meets up with Tiger Tanaka, played wonderfully by Tetsuro Tamba, Aki, played by Akiko Wakabayashi, and Kissy Suzuki, played by Mie Hama. Bond eventually uncovers a plan set out by SPECTRE, and finally meets face to face with SPECTRE no. 1, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, portrayed by Donald Pleasence.

You know, I like the premise of this movie a lot. It comes on so much smoother than Thunderball's in pretty much any aspect. I just like this movie, I may be a bit biased.

But things are not well with this movie, not by far. You know how I mentioned that Connery wanted this to be his last Bond? Well, he was a bit...to put it nicely, tired of being Bond. He was largely in fear of being typecast and wasn't a huge fan of all the publicity and paparazzi surrounding it (there was actually one time where he was in the bathroom while filming in Japan, and a Japanese cameraman peeked over the stall door. I don't blame him). Because of this reason, there are many scenes where Connery looks flat-out bored or unamused with what's going on.

I think Connery's stone face in these scenes is what drives most Bond fans away from liking this movie. Many other reviews I've watched or read marks his performance as the one reason why it doesn't rank as high as others. While Connery's performance doesn't really ruin the movie for me, I definitely can sense how pissed off he actually is, and can agree that it was time for a change in role.

Besides Connery, the rest of the cast seemed actually well chosen for their respected roles, especially Donald Pleasence as Blofeld. While he's not my favorite Blofeld, he sure is a powerful presence on screen, leaving chills down your spine with each word spoken. The Japanese actors in the supporting casts also seem very believable as members of Japanese SIS, which I applaud.

Basically, for me, this movie isn't all that bad. But, I can see why people don't like it, and I respect it. Next week, however, comes one of the biggest talking points in any conversation with a Bond fan. George Lazenby's first and final Bond film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

You Only Live Twice recieves 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular Posts