Top 10 BEST Movies of 2016

So...-cracks neck- I got through the piles of endless shit yesterday, now I get to talk about some actual good films. Films that I loved and loved to review (even though there are one that I didn't get to review due to scheduling). These films are future classics, films that will define a generation. Let's get this started.

10. Captain America: Civil War


I was really close to keeping Civil War off of this list. I enjoyed Civil War on my first two viewings, but once it got on home video, I didn't find the same charm. That being said, Civil War is one of the brighter Marvel offerings, and even though it does feel like Avengers 2.5, it does do a decent job at darkening the bright world of the Marvel movies. There's only one that does it better.

9. Zootopia


When I saw Zootopia in theaters, I thought for sure it'd be on my top 10 list. I thought for sure it'd be my favorite animated feature this year. And while it isn't, due to one higher up on here, I do have to commend Zootopia for what it did. Gorgeous animation, groundbreaking stories, and top notch humor, Zootopia proves that there's still hope in the world of great animated features.

8. Doctor Strange


Earlier this year, I posted an MMW on Reddit saying that Marvel will suffer their first blunder soon. I placed a bet on Doctor Strange being it. I was luckily surprised to find that Doctor Strange is one of the greatest Marvel movies yet. Benedict Cumberbatch shows his true acting prowess in a movie that's fun and mysterious at the same time. This is the type of movie that got us hooked into this franchise, much like Iron Man in 2008. I hope we get more like it.

7. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)


Now hold on, hold on, put down that torch. Hear me out here. The theatrical cut of BvS was kind of mediocre, not terrible enough to hate but not good enough to really love. It didn't really deserve such low ratings. However, the Ultimate Edition is a completely new gem. People aren't going to listen to me but it's really a whole new movie. Every single issue I had with this movie was fixed or reprimanded through added scenes or other such additions. Yes, it's a long movie, but it's really, really good, and if I have to be the only one out there who says it, by god, I will.

6. Kubo and the Two Strings


Yes, THIS is the movie that knocked Zootopia down, but honestly it deserves it. It's such a warm and heartfelt story wrapped into a gorgeous and unique animation style. Add in some top-notch star power, and you get the absolute best animated film of 2016. This movie deserves all the awards, and I'll be frankly disappointed if it doesn't get a few. If you haven't seen Kubo, change that. It'll change you.

5. Deadpool


Now, this was a nice surprise. It's a little cliche, but honestly, it was good to see a movie with the balls to make fun of itself and at the same time provide a decent enough story to make it all work. Deadpool may find itself in the generic superhero movie vein without its humor, but it still works so well.

4. Arrival


Arrival was a beauty in all forms. It was gorgeous to look at, to listen to, and to think about. Perhaps it was released at the right time and the right place, but this movie really deserves all the love. I hope that Denis Villeneuve can now find himself amongst the great names of directors after this one.

3. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story


Now, say, if I had stayed home more often this year and not seen more movies, this one would be higher, much like Episode VII was last year. That being said, Rogue One really surprised me, and brought me a great deal of joy. I don't think anyone was expecting this movie to be this good, but it was. It's now one of my favorite Star Wars movies...and that's a hard act to beat.

2. Hell or High Water


Hell or High Water is everything I wanted it to be. An old fashioned western-like movie in a world of cape films and cheesy dramas. Great actors, great story, great dialogue, it was so old-fashioned, with a new twist, and I loved the whole thing. We need more movies like this.

1. The Nice Guys


This wasn't really surprising at all. Yes, number 2 and number 1 are back to back old-fashioned movies in a new-fashioned world. I loved The Nice Guys. I absolutely adored it. I've never laughed this much in a theater in my lifetime and the only reason I haven't bought the Blu-Ray is because I'm a broke-ass bastard. But I'd gladly watch this movie every year of my life...it's so fucking good. I'm so happy this movie got made.

Anyway, so that's my list. There were some hits and misses this year, but we can all hope 2017 is a better year, for all of us.

Comments

Popular Posts