Wonder Woman


The saga of the DC Extended Universe has not been smooth. Their first two films, Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, were met with mixed reviews all around (I loved both), and their last one, Suicide Squad was just plain shit. Still though, many people have hope because there are a lot of characters that have been introduced within the universe that have been well received even though the movie in question was rather dull. None fit this example more than Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.

When she thrusted herself upon the Doomsday fight scene in BvS, accompanied by a blazing guitar theme, people cheered. We had finally been given a proper movie-worthy Wonder Woman after years of false promises. News came shortly after about the first Wonder Woman standalone movie, and people were even happier. And now it's here, and I have to say, it was pretty worth the wait. DC now has a movie that can be loved by everyone...audiences and critics alike.

Honestly, I'm beaming about this one, because I finally have a DCEU movie that I can gladly enjoy with the company of others. In regards to the story, I'll give it praise. Origin movies for superheroes seem very heavy-handed nowadays as we see them all the fucking time, and they all follow the same cliches. But this one manages to separate itself from the bunch, giving us some cliche subversion and genuine small points throughout it that keep it entertaining. There's not really any dull moments, just a few minor setbacks which I'll return to in a moment.

Casting is very well done. First you of course have Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, who is as always wonderful. I don't think I can explain how good she is better than anyone else could, she is Wonder Woman, plain and simple. You also have Chris Pine who is great as always in anything he does, from Star Trek to Supermansion. There's also David Thewlis, I like David Thewlis a lot.

The aesthetics employed in this movie are kind of drab for the most part but they're also very pleasing to me. It's a war film, and it portrays that very, very well. The Themyscira scenes are gorgeous and full of such life and lusciousness. Director Patty Jenkins and everyone else behind the camera did such a good job on this movie.

The only minor setback I have about this movie is one that's more or less completely opinionated, because it doesn't completely destroy the movie. To me, the third act feels a little less than substantial for my tastes. There was a humongous build-up to the final battle, there's a twist, and it feels like it's over too quickly. I'd like to see a further exploration of Wonder Woman's abilities in the next one, kind of like how BvS did it.

But all in all, Wonder Woman is just what we needed. It does the character so much justice and makes it feel like every blunder we've seen so far from the franchise was all and well worth it. Wonder Woman gets a respectable 9.0/10 from me. I'm just so happy to see the DCEU finally get something right, and I will gladly go see this again.

Comments

Popular Posts