Logan Lucky


Alright, my vacation's over and I'm SEVERELY behind on new releases. I've managed to miss Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, and The Dark Tower somehow (well, I know why, I was busy taking a few weeks off), and it's time for me to catch up. So, on Sunday, I finally got time to go to the movies, and guess what I decided to see. That's right, none of those films.

Rather than going to see a movie that's bound to be winning Oscars, one that fits my love of 80s aesthetics, or one that'll surely be fun to tear into, I decided to play it safe and go to a movie that I knew I'd enjoy: Logan Lucky. A heist film directed by Steven Soderbergh of Ocean's fame, with a surprising cast of Daniel Craig, Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Riley Keough, Sebastian Stan, and so on. How could you go wrong?

You really can't, because Logan Lucky is probably one of the smartest, most upbeat, funniest, and seemingly also charming films I've seen yet this year. The details and the care into this project is what makes it so smart, you think there might be a loose end somewhere, but they almost always tie it up. Just when you think you're on the same page, the characters throw you for something else. It's genuinely entertaining and so damn fun to just watch.

The casting is bloody brilliant, and adds to the charm, especially when you've got Daniel Craig playing one of his best roles in years. I speak nothing but praise of Craig when talking about James Bond, but seeing him branch out to a less serious character, but still maintain this aura of dedication to the role, it's great. Also, Adam Driver seems to be doing well for himself, breaking out of being typecast as Kylo Ren in the new Star Wars films. I could hardly complain about what the casting department did here, even if someone seems a little uneasy about a certain actor, I assure you, there's no reason.

For a simple heist movie about stealing from NASCAR, Logan Lucky does everything right, so right it's almost startling, even though there are a few issues near the end (totally obvious sequel-baiting). But, overall, I'd say Logan Lucky's worthy of a solid 8.8/10, and it's worthy of a spot in some of the best of the year. Even if there is a sequel, which there probably will be, I honestly can't say I'd be too mad if Soderbergh pulls out the stops he employed here. Bravo, sir.

Comments

Popular Posts