The X-Files Miniseries: My Struggle


Okay, first and foremost. Yes, this is my first TV episode review. I've had the word, "TV," in the title of this blog since the day I set it up, and I've never actually gone through with it. But since there's a new X-Files miniseason going on, I thought why not let this be the beginning? But, yeah, this begins the series of blog posts and reviews I'll be making for each episode of this miniseries, starting with My Struggle, episode 1.

So, The X-Files, for those of you who don't know, is kind of a big thing. It was originally a fantastic TV series from the 90s about aliens, conspiracies, you name it. The show ended in the early 2000s, and, along with a couple of okay-at-best movies, it was a huge hit, obviously keeping up a following to this day, as evidenced by my Twitter feed. Because of this huge following, sometime in 2013 or 2014 they decided to renew the show for a small series this year. Well, it's finally here...and does it stand up to the fantastic show which came before?

My struggle follows the reuniting of Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) and Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) after years have passed since the X-Files program was disbanded. They're brought back into work as Tad O'Malley, an online conspiracy theorist, calls them to investigate his theory that the government is in fact using alien technology with the prospects of harming humanity. They end up getting involved with a deeper conspiracy as O'Malley turns out to possibly be true, with everyone asking the most pertinent question: what if we've been misled for so long about these extra-terrestrials?

I have to get it out of me: by bloody god, does it feel good to have this show back. And at such a great time too, with other great shows on TV too, like Better Call Saul. But it does have a lot to live up to, and I can honestly say that it does just that, wonderfully. The show feels like it's honestly never left. The chemistry between Scully and Mulder sticks around after so long, and it just felt so...right...seeing them on TV together, along with the return of old characters such as Walter Skinner and one character that's obvious but I'll keep it a secret for now. The new characters like Sveta are also pretty welcomed, and I do like the sort of Alex Jones punch that O'Malley gives off.

The plot of this episode, I'd say, does a very good job at setting up this overarch that we'll be getting this season. It's a bit outlandish at times, especially when the conspiracies are revealed, but otherwise, it's not really that bad. Also the cliffhangers are absolutely golden, and the reveal at the end is just beautiful. I've got good feelings about this show, from every single aspect, not to mention how great the production quality still is. I just love this show so damn much.

If there is one thing I could complain about, it's just the whole idea of the conspiracy they're tackling. I feel like the whole idea of the government planning to overtake the population is just a bit overdone, even if it does mesh into the Cigarette Smoking Man's original dastardly plan. But, I kind of wish they would have at least invented something, and not seemed so obvious about trying to become hip with the times, so to speak. Also, the beginning of the episode seems to be a bit slow in the pacing. But, all is forgiven once the original X-Files opening and theme plays. Instant nostalgia.

All in all, My Struggle gets a 4 out of 5. It's a fantastic opener to a much awaited series, and it lives up to everyones expectations just the same, even with its few, very small problems. I hope it keeps it up, and I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the season!

Comments

Popular Posts