Civil War Countdown: Guardians of the Galaxy

Well, Marvel couldn't rest on their laurels forever.

Indeed, after the success of their established heroes in the Avengers, they decided to reach out and grab some new heroes for the audiences. When I say, "reach out," I mean they reached out. Like, through the galaxy. I think everyone was very unsure about the decision to adapt Guardians of the Galaxy. Not many people knew about these characters, and that was just the tip of the iceberg of what all could possibly go wrong with this one. But, you know Marvel, they of course, went ahead with it. The rest is history, but what do I think? I'm not paid to think. Let's find out.

The movie revolves around our titular "Guardians of the Galaxy," the likes of Star Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), and Groot (Vin Diesel), as they go up against some quite menacing forces of the likes of our old pal Thanos (Josh Brolin) and Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace). Ronan is basically a fanatic of a "supreme alien race" that's interested in destroying planet Xandar, who opposes him, with the use of an Infinity stone. The ex-con Guardians come together to take him down and become the...well, the Guardians of the Galaxy.

This is obviously a very short review, because I'm planning on getting back to this movie at a later date (around when Guardians vol. 2 comes around next year), and to focus on re-visiting Age of Ultron and Ant-Man later this week, but here's what I can say. Guardians was really a definite surprise from Marvel. They pulled it off down to a goddamn T and it's so glorious to watch, even two years later. It's funny and well-paced with its plot and pacing, and so nicely accented by its actors (and don't even get me started on the soundtrack, filled with great 70s and 80s tunes).

I'm gonna give Guardians of the Galaxy a 4.5 out of 5 stars for right now, and like I said, consider this a minor placeholder until next year. Expect a re-visit of 2015's films soon, however, as I'm going to go more in-depth than I did with my spoiler-free reviews from last year.


Comments

Popular Posts