2014-2015 Oscars Hopeful/Probable Winners

So, as the Oscars are finally upon us (and I will regretfully be missing them due to work), I think it's best for me to compile a list of my hopeful winners, why I want them to win, as well as the ones I think will probably win due to popularity or subject matter. So, without further ado, let's get started.

BEST PICTURE
Probable Winner - American Sniper or Boyhood
Hopeful Winner - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Actual Winner - Birdman

Out of the list of films nominated, I believe Budapest Hotel is by far the greatest of the group. The cinematography, cast, and score were absolutely phenomenal, and I believe it leaving without a good chunk of the awards it's nominated for. However, due to Sniper being so groundbreaking, and Boyhood being such a hard work of art, I would not be surprised if either of those two walked out with the award.

BEST ACTOR
Probable Winner - Bradley Cooper for American Sniper
Hopeful Winner - Michael Keaton for Birdman
Actual Winner - Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything

Keaton's performance was too good to be ignored. The complexity and way he portrayed the role was exceptional, almost making you wonder if the whole movie was a secret story about himself. However, referring to my previous comments about Sniper, if it wasn't for Cooper's portrayal of the titular character, I suppose the movie wouldn't have been as good.

BEST ACTRESS
Probable Winner - Julianne Moore for Still Alice
Hopeful Winner - Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl

I've not yet made it clear how much I loved Gone Girl. I loved that movie so much that I was physically angry when I saw how much it was snubbed this year, so much so that my pillow is probably asking the Academy, "why?" Rosamund Pike made that movie as good as it was. The way she played the cunning and snide Amy Dunne was as beautiful as it could be. But, the Academy loves sob stories...and Still Alice fits that category perfectly. (I haven't seen Still Alice. My theater has yet to get it)

BEST DIRECTOR
Probable Winner - Richard Linklater for Boyhood
Hopeful Winner - Wes Anderson for The Grand Budapest Hotel
Actual Winner - Alejandro G. Iñárritu for Birdman

(You can see my reasons for both in the best picture section)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Probable Winner - Ethan Hawke for Boyhood
Hopeful Winner - Edward Norton for Birdman
Actual Winner - J.K. Simmons for Whiplash


I'm kinda biased for Edward Norton. Not that I don't like Ethan Hawke, but I've always been a strong fan and supporter for Norton, ever since I first saw him in 2003's Italian Job remake, and through catching up with his earlier movies like American History X since, and I simply believe Norton deserves an Oscar on his shelf. Plus, I already love Birdman, so I believe it should get all the awards it possibly can.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Probable Winner - Patricia Arquette for Boyhood
Hopeful Winner - Emma Stone for Birdman or Keira Knightley for The Imitation Game

I've already said what I can about Birdman, and the only thing I can say is that Emma Stone is one of the best and most attractive young actresses out there at the moment. From what I've seen of Imitation Game, however, shows Keira Knightley in one of her best roles that I've seen her in in a long time. If either of these women walks out with the statue, I will be real impressed.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Probable Winner - Glory by John Legend and Common, Selma
Hopeful Winner - Everything Is Awesome by Shawn Patterson, The Lego Movie

First off, let me say I am straight angry for Lego's snub in the best animated feature this year. I don't even understand how? So, this one is a bit one-sided for me, even though both are fantastic songs, but I don't want my favorite animated movie of last year to go unnoticed.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Probable Winner - The Tale of Princess Kaguya or How to Train Your Dragon 2
Hopeful Winner - Big Hero 6

I love Disney films as much as the next guy, and I have to say BH6 is their best effort since Wreck-It Ralph. The characters were lovable, the art style was attractive, almost akin to a 3D anime, which I love. But, speaking of anime, I have a strong respect for Studio Ghibli, and I believe Kaguya will take it this time. Only reason Dragon 2 is on this list is because of the Golden Globes win, which still surprises me to this day. LEGO MOVIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE, $%^@$% IT.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Probable Winner - Hans Zimmer for Interstellar
Hopeful Winner - Hans Zimmer for Interstellar
Actual Winner - Alexandre Desplat for The Grand Budapest Hotel

I'm very surprised at the lack of Interstellar in the nominations, so I've got to give it to Zimmer, who I'm a big fan of in the first place, for this one.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Probable Winner - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Hopeful Winner - Guardians of the Galaxy
Actual Winner - Interstellar

Not much can be said for why I loved Guardians. It was the absolute smash hit of the summer for numerous reasons, and the effects was one of those. However, I can't deny how great Apes was when it came to the CGI. Often I thought I was watching real apes on the screen.


Will my predictions come true? Probably not, but we'll see tonight. I'm still going to be rooting for my hopefuls though. I want to see Rosamund Pike on the stage tonight, damn it.

Comments

Popular Posts